Friday, February 22, 2013

It's All About Compromise

The next step in the process was to meet with the architect. Tony had done an amazing job drawing out the plans, but it was time to learn about roof lines and elevations...all of the things that don't sound very interesting, but have to be dealt with before moving forward. Our architect Don is a kindly, creative fellow who listens, takes notes and makes changes.

The challenge at this point is to take Tony's ideas and my ideas...and then let Don tell us if they will or won't work. Tony has always been a "bigger is better" kind of guy. I like small and cozy. Tony sees the big picture, I like to focus on details. Most of the time, we are a good compliment to each other. But in trying to figure out what to incorporate into a "dream house", I've found the best way is to each make a collection of pictures and ideas. Then we compare and contrast...see what the similarities are ...and go from there. I had always imagined a kitchen with exposed wood beams. Tony finds this claustrophobic and depressing. He likes a dining room that calls for a round table. I wanted to use my long, rectangular farmhouse table in the dining room. So you get the picture...it's all about prioritizing likes and dislikes.

When I first met Tony, he was remodeling his home, and he had a folder where he would put ideas and pictures that appealed to him. I loved this because I did the same thing. I always have several folders going...home, fashion, children, etc....you name it, I've got an idea folder for it. (This was before Pinterest and Houzz came along and made it easy!) I think at this point I will take Tony's tear outs and my tear outs and make a story board.  As a buyer, I use to be very involved in merchandising my shops. I would always make a story board to inspire and remind.




So in the next few weeks, I will be looking for anything that inspires...color, pattern, shape, feeling. And I'll encourage Tony to do the same. And the kids, too. Because after all, it will able a home for all of us. Often times, I find a picture that appeals to me for no apparent reason other than the feeling it gives me. I'll continue to post pictures of the farm "pre-house", and also random pictures that inspire me. Isn't that what building a home is all about? Creating an environment that makes your family feel good...Until tomorrow...

1 comment: