Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Filled with the patina of a bygone era"

I've been pouring over magazines, examining the exteriors of homes that I  love. We are trying to decide on textures and architectural  touches to include on our home. I'm drawn to a Mediterranean exterior, with stucco and stone.  Tony is more traditional, favoring brick and stone. He also likes wrap around porches and columns. I am not opposed to either of these, but as I said, there will be compromises to make.

The one little touch I am really pushing for is a bit of copper in different areas on the roof. I have always loved the look of this, and how the patina ages to a kind of verdigris over time.





After a little research, I think I can convince Tony that the added expense is off-set by the advantages...durability, waterproof, fire-proof...all sorts of good things to be said about copper roofing. But I'll admit that I just love the look of it.

I guess it is no surprise that one of my favorite anniversary gifts from Tony was this Tiffany rubedo bangle:




I guess some things translate from fashion to home design. I'm not sure if it is the color or the texture that I like...but I hope we can incorporate it somehow.

By the way, the title from today's post is a quote from one of my favorite movies A Good Year..it was phrase used to describe a house instead of saying "shabby". It's all in the presentation, isn't it?...

Until tomorrow...



1 comment:

  1. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i got here to return the choose?
    .I'm trying to in finding things to improve my web site!I suppose its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!

    Also visit my website ... bmi chart for women

    ReplyDelete