Sunday, February 24, 2013

And The Winner Is...

In honor of the Oscars tonight, I was thinking today about homes in movies that made an impact on me. I talked about Something's Gotta Give the other day. It obviously made a huge impression on Tony and me...enough that he drew our house plans based around that "house".

Meryl Streep's home in It's Complicated was also a winner, especially the kitchen.




It was warm and welcoming, and it gave every scene that was filmed in it a cozy feel. Of course, it too was a stage...but a lovely one.

I also loved the house in The Good Year with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard. It may not be one that I would choose to design a house around, but the exterior and grounds were so pretty.

But I think one that had the biggest influence on me was the house in Under The Tuscan Sun. Not so much because of the house itself, but because of the journey that it took the author on throughout the movie. The remodeling was in fact a metaphor for her life...of putting herself back together. Her relationships with the workers, and her participation in the process was so endearing.



I guess I hope that our building process will be similar. Not that I will be plastering walls or putting down floors, but I already feel a sense of involvement  through meeting with the architect and pouring over the plans with Tony. I want to pay attention to details and enjoy the adventure of it.

One of my favorite poems, Road to Ithaca, talks about enjoying the journey and not worrying about the goal: "When you start your journey...pray that the road is long, full of adventure, full of knowledge...To arrive is your ultimate goal. but do not hurry the voyage at all..." I hope I can keep this in mind during all of the challenges that are sure to come. I hope I can look forward to the completion of the house, but also enjoy each step along the way....

Until tomorrow...(and enjoy the Oscars!)

2 comments:

  1. That is how I feel about the house in Father of the Bride <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that one! I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete